Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Starting Somewhere

Since I would hate to burden all of my Facebook "friends" with my ramblings, thoughts, concerns and rants about being a lonely Navy wife, unfortunately for Blogger readers, this is where I chose to post these sort of things.  Hooray!

My husband Salton and I were married in September.  So far since then, we have spent more than half of our time together apart.  It doesn't help matters that I work full time and get home at about 6:30 pm, which means that if he is even home at all, I only get to spend a few hours awake with him.  But that's not necessarily the point.

Today he is gone.  That's my point.  He left on my 30th birthday, just five days ago.  He will not be back for another week and already I miss him.  Happy birthday to me!

I really try to put on a happy face, but I'm sad... and lonely.  No matter how many distractions I have, it's never enough to fill that gap where my husband should be.  His car isn't in the garage.  I can't have dinner with him.  I don't get to hug him in the morning before work.  He's not sitting on the couch with our dog when I get home.  There's just an empty apartment - the same as I left it.  I should be more used to this, I think, but I'm not and no matter how hard I try to tell myself that this is normal for me now, I'm not sure I ever will be used to it.

I've been wondering how most wives deal with this.  I'm new to all of this really, and it's not so bad in comparison to some couples that have to be apart for a full deployment.  But, if I'm like this right now, when he is only gone for a few days at a time, how am I going to make it through the 7-month deployment that starts in early February?

Perhaps I should try to post a Pro and a Con of my solitude at the end of each blog entry to help myself cope with things a little better...

Pro: All the dirty dishes are mine and I don't have to clean up after anyone else
Con: All the dirty dishes are mine and there's no one here to clean up after me!  Crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment