It's been 24 hours so far since the ship left and I've been taking it surprisingly well. I have no idea why or how. Here's a basic run-down of my past 24 hours:
Hour 1 - Salton said goodbye. I cried. Got in my car and sobbed for about 5 seconds, then drove home.
Hour 2 - Thought about cleaning up his mess, but I didn't. Would make it all seem too "real" for me for now perhaps. I watched tv and ate lunch.
Hours 3-5 - Mind was reeling. Thinking about the deployment and what I'm going to do, how I'm going to react, what it's going to be like when he comes back, etc.
Hours 6-11 - Dinner with a few other wives. It was nice. We talked for a long time about our lives, jobs, where we're from, and about our husbands (probably my most favorite topic). I realized that Salton provided me with some of the most romantic stories to share. Our relationship, the proposal, our wedding.. all fantastic. It's been a while since anyone has asked me to share our story, so I had forgotten how romantic and spontaneous and full of love our short life together has been. I can't help but to be proud of my husband for what he has done for our lives. He's pretty amazing.
Hour 12 - Home. Feeling damn good about our relationship. Seriously, it's like my soul is smiling. Saw my first email from Salton and felt even better.
Hours 13-15 - Put on Salton's sweat pants, nearly tripping myself walking downstairs in those things. Thought wearing my husband's clothes could be hazardous to my safety. Played video games. Shh! I like video games.
Hours 15-22 - Asleep. Woke up sprawled across the whole bed. It's MINE now. Mine, all mine!
Hours 22-24 - Salton and I emailed each other back and forth and I talked on the phone to my mom and his.
So perhaps the fact that he's gone will hit me harder down the road a bit, or perhaps I did my grieving already. I'm not sure. I've missed him this whole time, but only get sad about it every now and then. I haven't been sad enough that I break down in tears, aside from that first goodbye. I read how a few other wives are cleaning and doing this or that to keep themselves occupied so they don't think about it. But honestly, I've been openly talking about it for the past couple months so I don't really think I have anything that I need to keep my mind off of. It's done. He's gone. But, he'll be back.
Pro: Soul is still smiling. I couldn't ask for a better husband.
Con: Stomach is growling. No husband here to make me food anymore :(
No comments:
Post a Comment