Oh it was too good to last.
One of the other wives took a video of the ship leaving the pier. It was shaky, not even cool, didn't show anyone being emotional, and the song selection was awful. If you're gonna make me cry, do it right. I didn't really get the feeling of total abandonment, nor did I see wives bawling their eyes out and curling up in the fetal position on the ground. Pathetic. She's not going to win any awards for that videography.
It was a rather dull, uninspired short film. And I cried. Not hysterically, but real tears nonetheless. I couldn't help thinking to myself, "this is awful - I shouldn't have watched this." But I couldn't stop myself. I watched it about five times in a row. That awful excuse for a mini-documentary. Horrible, I tell ya. But it did something to me. Salton was not standing on the ship; he was inside the Pilot House. In the video, I could see the window where he would be standing...and I searched, with squinted eyes, to see if I could catch a glimpse of him. I would settle for a shadow, or a blur, or the tip of his cover... I saw nothing but the window. And it made me wish I would have stayed to watch the ship leave in person. He could have seen me, even if I couldn't have seen him. I could have been that one person, in that awful excuse for a mini-documentary, that was visibly sad to see the ship depart. I may not have been in the fetal position on the pier, but no doubt in my mind that even Salton, up there in the Pilot House, three or four stories high, behind a window I couldn't see through, would have been able to hear me crying.
Pro: I can watch it as often as I want here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MERxhLWU2vU
Con: I probably will watch it as often as I want...
No comments:
Post a Comment